Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Frayed Denim Done!

After getting my first night of really solid sleep last time, I trudged off to the laundromat with my quilt. It cost 18 quarters for the largest machine to wash it and since there was no way to clean the lint trap I dried it in four different dryers for 15 minutes each. It frayed up nicely and looks really cute on the bed. I like the concept of the quilt, but making a king (110x100) sized one is not something I think I will tackle again. I may put some together for kids in a much smaller fashion or something to keep in the car. It will be really nice this winter, but it is definetely heavy with the denim and the material sandwiched together (denim alone is heavy enough). I have not made the label for it yet - I had planned to do the embroidery on one of the squares of denim and use it as the last one, but I forgot. It took a lot of the 25 cent jeans I picked up at the thrift store, but believe me there are still many left.

I may start doing some practice with my fabric mover to see if I might be able to master the machine quilting thing. I have a couple of books that give some ideas and I have one that came with my machine that deals with the twin needle sewing. I want to make more quilts, but I need to figure out how in the world to get them completed - back, batting and quilted. I may try another of that first one I made - it was fun and basically easy as far as putting it together goes and I have learned from the mistakes I made. I do have the fat quarters to cut another one, but I also have tons of 4 inch squares and a lot of 1 1/2 inch strips that Joy gave me. Not sure what project will win, but I will keep you posted.

Later . . .

1 comment:

Duane said...

Wow that turned out REALLY nice!