Saturday, December 12, 2009

OUCH MY THUMB

My hand is pretty swollen as you can see from the picture. Not going to be easy doing this post with one hand - I have never been a hunt and peck kind of typist. I could use the fingers of my other hand except it hurts like hell to move them. The surgery went well according to the doctor. It was delayed a bit and we did not get back home until around 6:30. I am still in more pain than I would like to be in. I was sent home with strict instructions to take pain medications every 4 hours for the first 48 hours. That schedule ended up having me sleeping or nodding off most of the time, but the pain level was pretty high so that was probably my best treatment.

We settled in to watch some TV last night and while we were watching Law & Order SVU someone in the program jumped out and scared me - you know that feeling when your whole body tenses up? Well I am here to tell you even with the half cast there was room for tension that resulted in unbelievable PAIN. OMG the tears were rolling down my cheeks and another pain pill was popped immediately! I declared at that time there would be no scary movies or surprises.

I progressed into Saturday doing pretty well. Not as much pain and feeling better and moving around more. Did not have much of an appetite and ended up being sick a couple of times. We then noticed the "oh please don't really be there" redness growing out from under my bandage. Started taking my temp and it was slowly rising with the redness spreading. Needless to say that required a trip to the emergency room. They took a bunch of blood and started me on IV antibiotics. Unfortunately, they had to remove the "very well placed bandage" from my surgeon to check the actual incision sites for infection. What an additional pain! So I was sent home with 10 days of antiobiotics and an email to my surgeon. The replacement bandage does not feel like the one they took off and I would not be opposed to going back and having my surgeon replace it again.

Soon this will be over. Max is doing a very good job taking care of me, but she does have to go back to work on Monday.

Later . . .

No comments: