Sunday, April 02, 2006

Busy Weekend

We finally made it outside to the back yard to do some work. You will just have to use your imagination as to how bad the yard looked prior to the photo (trust me - you could not even see dirt in the garden area and all the dogs toys were hidden under the grass). Max started pulling weeds while I mowed the grass. I had to set the mower's wheels up higher to be able to make it through the grass, but that was probably the best thing to do anyway. After I finished mowing, I helped with the weeding of the garden. Thankfully it was not a difficult job because the ground was so wet. It is always nice when you can pull a weed and have the ENTIRE root come out of the ground. We filled our "green waste trash container"(which is pretty good sized). It is amazing how nice the yard can look with just a little effort. My jasime is starting to bloom and I love the smell, but I also love the way it looks back there in the corner.

We went to a really cute, quaint Italian restraurant (Baci Cafe) in Pleasanton for dinner. First off being the water drinker that I am, their water was GREAT! They had a pitcher with water, ice, slices of orange, apple, lemon, lime, strawberries and mint leaves. The flavor of the fruit and mint was very subtle and I loved it. I had an excellent bowl of butternut squash soup and Max had a great Greek salad. Our meal choice was skillet fried skirt steak with red pepper sauce accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes and baby spinach leaves. The dinner was excellent and we finished the meal with coffee and cream brulee topped with fruit. Not too pricey considering restraurants these days - it was very nice and completely worth it.

After dinner we went to Lowes to pick up vegetable seeds for the garden. I picked up some additional Humming Bird feeders to try and entice my little friends to return to the yard. They seem to continue to come back, but they want to feed off the rainbow colored glass wind chimes hanging at the kitchen window. I bought a feeder with some colorful glass that hangs above two feeder balls (I have not taken it out of the box yet). I am going to put it outside the kitchen window and move the other wind chimes and see if that will bring them back to eat. I also picked up another colorful glass bottle feeder (still in the box) - I know they are out there and I want them eating in MY yard.

Max is working on updating her resume for a job posting at LLNL (requires a BS in Technical Management, which is what she will have the end of June). This would be a manager position away from locating, working with a different group of people in the same building. She really wants to get away from the stress and pressures of locating. She has a midterm to do later this afternoon and we are just having a lazy day around the house with the dogs and a cozy fire. Darci loves to lay in front of the fireplace and get toasty warm. She will be really warm to the touch when she comes for a pet (she likes to lay in the sun during the summer too).

I think I will play my video game while Max does her midterm.

Later . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your new humming bird feeder is beautiful. I like the striped one.
Denise

Donna Rae said...

Denise,

Thanks! I hope the humming birds feel the same way!