Thursday, November 09, 2006

Doctor's Appointment

I saw my oncologist today, which gave me the opportunity to ask some questions I have been wanting to ask. I am not very happy with the medication I am taking, but when he plugged all my data into the computer it appears it is definitely to my benefit to continue taking it. I can't relay the exact numbers, but the difference in relapse between those taking Arimidex and those who did not take it was significant. He also mentioned the side affects "should" be less severe as time passes. He reminded me that the surgery and especially the radiation treatments took a heavy toll on me and to take it easy (yep, lighten up and don't be so hard on myself when I am fatigued and sore). My decision is to continue with the medication and see how things improve. I hope after I have my knee surgery that I will be able to become more active and that might help with the joint stiffness and maybe I will be able to take off some of this extra weight. My cholestrol is a bit high (which is a common side affect - hormones and all) and he wanted to put me on medication, but I am going to try to get it down with diet and excercise.

No new lumps or bumps to be found, which is good news. I see him again in February and we will address all the same issues again. I will have new mammograms and blood work done before the visit.

Later . . .

2 comments:

Duane said...

Well at least you have more information to the positive effects of the treatments and some hope that it will get better as time goes on!

Brad said...

I amthankful that the doctor had good news regarding medication and no new lumps. I pray that the good news continues as you get back your strength, stamina, and knee surgery. Keep on, Donna.