Saturday, August 22, 2009

Niners & Raiders

Well thank goodness Debby is safely home from Iraq! In a way it seems like the year went by quickly and in another way it seemed to drag. The family (Kathy, Paul, Michael, Debby, Max and I) got together for the Niner/Raider game. Everyone except Max and I are Niner fans and Max and Debby bet on the teams every year - who will win the most games - who wins the pre-season game (which was the Niners). Thank goodness it was a close game! It was just fun to be at Debby's and have her home and be able to have a friendly rivalry over the game. We had a simple dinner of hot dogs and potato salad. She just arrived home Saturday morning, so she was very tired and we left her to get some sleep after the game was over.

We bought chilles (from Hatch New Mexico) and have to do some roasting. Ya can't really roast the chilles on a gas BBQ so we ended up picking up a decent sized grill. Hate to do it for once a year, but decided it would be the backup in case we run out of propane (which happens to be the case right now - both tanks are empty). We have room to store it in the shed and it will not be in the way since we are not getting the lawn mower in and out (gardeners). OMG the house smells soooooooooooo good right now with all the chilles sitting on the counter waiting to be bagged and put in the freezer!

I was able to get the binding sewn on one of the baby quilts that I had done while watching the game. I finished a quilt for Sunny (Debby's Yellow Lab) and gave it to Debby today. I have a quilt on the frame ready to be quilted, but probably will not get to it until the beginning of the week. At least it is loaded. The part I hate the most about the quilting process is cutting the backing for the quilt top. I am getting better at doing it and working better with larger sized material that has to be squared, but it is still something I consider a hassle. It probably also is that I never know what to use. With the dog quilts it is difficult to pick a patterned material and I have been using plain muslin, which seems to do the trick and look good. I am anxious to actually get one of my good quilts on the frame to quilt - time just seems to get away from me.

We are going to Genoa this coming Thursday, Friday and Saturday for a wedding. Max is taking pictures of the bridesmaids getting their hair done and getting ready for the wedding. The wedding is on Friday - so we will be coming home on Saturday. Then the next week we will be going back to Genoa for a week of fishing and general vacation relaxation.

Later . . .

1 comment:

Denise Ellison said...

It sounds like you all had a great time. I am glad to hear that Debbie made it back okay. Hope Max has fun taking pictures.