Saturday, June 17, 2006

Meeting with "The Quilt Master"

I did have my meeting with "the Quilt Master" (her name is Lynn) and HOLLY MOLLY some of the things she has done were unbelievably beautiful! I seriously doubt I will ever advance to that stage of quilting, but it was totally inspiring to see that kind of work. I took my heart quilt top to show her and I was like a little kid presenting it for her inspection. I will have to brag and say she was very impressed with my first piece of work and she said you would never know it was an old sheet and pillow case project! She was not that familiar with embroidery machines and thought the embroidered squares were quite lovely. She offered to help me with anything that I needed and that makes me feel much better to move ahead with this whole quiling thing. I oredered a "cheater" quilt (everything I need to make a specific pattern) and am looking forward to trying that. I have not decided what I am going to do about the back on my heart top, but I am working on some possibilities. I do understand how people get addicted to the quiliting process, but it can become rather "pricey"!

I have started on another project with 8 1/2 inch squares that I am embroidering what appears to be a Celtic circle design. The top will be 72 squares and I am doing each one in a different color, which I think will turn out pretty cool. I really like incoprorating embroidery with the squares; unfortunately it tends to raise the cost of the quilt because the stabilizer is a bit costly and the thread does not come cheap. Thankfully the desgin I am doing does not require a lot of thread, so the main expense is the stabilizer (JoAnn's just put theirs on sale for 50% off).

I think I have a new friend in the Quilt Master and she knows MANY other top quilters in the area. She was just asked by the local quilt shop to do samples to display in their store and she was very happy about that. She gets the material for free and gets the sample back when they change the display.

Later . . .

No comments: