Thursday, March 23, 2006

Carrick-a-rede Rope Suspension Bridge & the Coastal Towns

After exploring the Giants Causeway we went in search of this rope suspension bridge that Kevin and I had heard about. We both wanted to walk across it, but unfortunately the way to get there was not compatabile with my bum knee. We found information on how to get above the bridge so we could at least see it and get a picture of it. It was pretty overcast and quite some distance and I was not even certain the picture would show up at all. This is something that I will do again in the future because I think it would be a real kick to walk across this bridge (Jessie did not care that we could not get to it, but Kevin and I were a bit disappointed).

The bridge was about a ten mile drive above the Causeway and afforded some really pretty scenery. All of Ireland is dotted with old castles and a variety of picture worthy scenic tours. I personally think the coast of Ireland (all sides that I have seen) is fantasticaly beautiful. What a treat to have an island that has the Atlantic Ocean, Irish Sea and the Celtic Sea surrounding it.

After we saw the suspension bridge (located near Ballycastle) we headed back down to the coast to check out the towns of Portrush and Portstewart. They were both quaint little coastal villages much like seaside towns in the USA, but the architecture was MUCH better! It could be Morro Bay, but like I said - better architecture. We had a nice time hanging out around the towns and stopped and had some lunch (creamed soup and chips). I have to mention the creamed soups over there are really delicious - not to mention rich, since they are actually made with real cream!

The bottom picture is of the park that is pretty much set in the middle of the downtown area of Portstewart. After lunch we basically just got back in the car and made the long dirve back to Ballybrittas (where Jessie lives in County Laois). The roads were good and the drive was still very scenic (we took a different route home). So I now feel I have a good sense of what the North is all about - all my previous trips were during a time frame when traveling to the North was not that good of an idea (especially if you were from the Laois area since that is where the prison that houses all the political prisoners is located).

Still more to come . . .

No comments: