Friday, June 15, 2007

Back to the cutting table

I am back to the cutting table with a stack of denim. I found the quilt I want to make with frayed edge denim. I need 320 squares and I think I am up to around 230. Interestingly, the backing for the quilt is also squares! I have picked out the material, but that means ANOTHER 320 squares. Once again I am determined to proceed from start to finish. Nice part about this pattern is there is not batting or binding and you actually are sewing the backing as you sew the denim. Another nice part about this type of quilt is that it is very forgiving with any mistakes because the frayed edges tend to cover things up.
It has been much easier rotary cutting the denim jeans in my new sewing room because I can move my cutting table around and get a good cut on all four sides of the ruler. I really should not be allowed to play with rotary cutters, but I have only cut myself once and nicked myself once. I do fine with the cutters until I start turning things and seem to get just a little pressure on the handle and the blade comes out just enough to cut if it happens to come in contact with my other hand. It only takes one good cut to remind you to be REALLY careful.
Later . . .

No comments: