Friday, January 13, 2006

I Cannot Believe My Computer Problems

I cannot believe that I have spent ALL day working on computers.  I was tweaking my PC and adding some software when it went into FREEZE mode on me.  After several attempts to get my computer back I finally was able to take off the software I had added and restore to a previous point where my computer was playing nice with me.  Then after much hair pulling and a complete computer crash on Duane’s part we were finally able to get our web cams working and actually had a video conference.  For weeks now we have been trying to get our computers to get over the Mac versus PC polar opposite anti-social behavior and stop refusing to talk to each other.  I actually have conceded that Duane with his Mac is actually on the light side and I with my Sony am on the dark side (his whole system is white and mine is black or dark grey).  Thankfully we are connected Mac to PC and I might not have to keep hearing - “Come to the light”.   Having accomplished what seemed to be the impossible, I was done with computers for a while.

Since the sun was shining and it was not raining, I decided it would be a good idea to groom the dogs.  After 45 minutes, a bucket full of white fluff, bleeding thumb (I always seem to injure myself when grooming the dogs) and two happy dogs, I ventured back to the computer to show Max a really cute audio attachment from my friend Candace (Thanks, Candace).  This attachment was really funny and worth hearing, but in the process of opening the attachment in iTunes all my music performed the big disappearing act.  Now being the smart cookie I am (thanks, Duane) I of course had all my music backed up; however that does not solve the problem of losing all my playlists and ratings.  I played the denial game for a while and then accepted I was back at square one with my music.

After coming back in the house, Max informed me she had finished the video game she received for Christmas (Battlefield II).  My immediate response was that she needed a new game and we would have to get her one asap.  She brought to my attention that it would probably be to her benefit to not have a new video game.  The rationale behind that statement is so she could maintain her GPA and status on the Dean’s List until she finishes school in June.  I guess a full-time job, full-time school and new video game is not the greatest combination.

I then decided it was time to just sit down with my notebook and do a Blog posting.  And  with my history of computer problems, why in the world would I think that would go smoothly – silly me.  I was working on the post and doing quite well, feeling witty and interesting when to my surprise the page went blank and everything I had just written was gone!  Happy about that – I think NOT!  Sometimes I think maybe I possess computers just to test/try my patience and perseverance.  Having lost my posting I decided that perhaps I needed to download the Word for Blog offering from Blogspot.  Once I accomplished the download, I realized I could not actually use it because I was running a new version of Office that was a 3 month trial and I needed to purchase the complete program.  Okay, I could do that.  I went through that process on my notebook and needed to print the certificate so I would have the key and – of course my network would not work and I could not get the thing to print.  Oh boy, more computer problems – why me?????   I started working on that problem for a while and was saved by the bell (phone ringing).  Kathy called to say Paul’s mother, Nancy (the best apple pie baker in the world) had just baked an apple pie and would we like to come over for a piece.  No one had to drag me screaming away from my computer to have Nancy’s pie.  It was yummy.

Once back home I continued to try to get the computers networked and I came to the conclusion I would have to back away and take some space.  I still cannot get the notebook to print, but I have the ability to post from Word (I hope).  I cannot deal with computer problem for another minute; therefore, I am going to go take out my frustrations with my PS2.

I don’t know what I will do if this does not post – probably back to square one with a much, much shorter to the point post.

Later . . .

2 comments:

Duane said...

I hate to say it - but that was FUNNY! And for the record it wasn't a MAC problem but a Linksys router problem. Probably had I purchased the "APPLE" router I would have NEVER had the problem in the first place! :)

On the blogger thing - I wish the word plug in worked for the mac version of Office. Alas it doesn't.

Donna Rae said...

Oh sorry Mr. Pimp Mac Daddy :)
Should have known it was not a MAC problem. The Word thing for Blogger is really awesome,